TOP 5 TIPS to make your flag's LAST LONGER!
A common question we get asked by customers is… “how long will my flag’s last for?”
This is a fair question.
Most people want to know how to get the most out of their flags. It is just like any other investment; you want to know that the money is worthwhile, and the return is beneficial.
The answer to this question is a little more complex than most people expect. There are so many different variables that impact the lifespan of your flag. From location, to weather, to UV exposure, to regularity of use. All these factors come into play. A flag that is used 24 hours a day, is obviously going to wear out quicker than a flag that is used once a week.
However, DO NOT fear!
There are some simple steps you can take in order to maintain your flags.
Our TOP 5 Flag Maintenance tips to help you get the MOST out of your flags:
1. Choose a Quality Product!
This sounds like a pretty obvious tip, however, it is essential to start by ensuring that the flag that you purchase is made from quality materials.
Always check the webbing, the eyelets, the stitching, and the overall finishing.
Furthermore, ask about the quality of the fabric. For single sided flag’s a 115g knitted polyester fabric provides suitable strength and durability. However, if you a looking for something extra to ensure the longevity of your flag a Doubled sided 115g twin layer made from 100% polyester with an additional blockout layer in the centre, provided additional durability. Finally, the top-of-the-line fabric for durability and aesthetic is the premium 190g silver coated satin block out, providing a quality finish and ensuring durability.
2. Location, location, location! Where you intend to fly your flags has A LOT to do with the flag’s longevity. If the location you have selected is a high wind area, you may find the flags wear out faster. If possible, our advice is to choose a location that provides you with plenty of brand exposure and visibility but isn’t too exposed to direct sunlight or high winds. Ultraviolet rays and high winds cause the breakdown of the fibres in the flags, particularly the sewn edges at the extremities. The pigment in the inks used also tend to breakdown, making your flags fade over time. Hence, taking the time to consider a suitable location can make a BIG difference!
3. Be aware of the weather conditions! It is always advised that where possible, your flags are taken down before storms, or extreme winds. If flags are left out in these kinds of extreme weather conditions, it can significantly impact the longevity of your flag fabric and hardware, particularly the pole set. If your flag does happen to get wet, it should be laid flat and allowed to dry before the next use to avoid mildew.
4. Bring them inside when not in use! Where possible, we encourage businesses to bring their flag’s indoors when not in use. By doing this, you are protecting the flags from unnecessary over exposure to the outdoor elements. While the flags are designed for outdoor purposes, being mindful of their exposure can ensure a longer lifespan.
5. Clean them with care! If your flag is looking a bit dirty, you can most certainly freshen it up by giving it a wash. You can wash your flag by simply putting it in the washing machine on a cold wash with half the detergent you would normally use and some fabric softener. Do NOT tumble dry, simply hang it up on the clothesline and wait for it to be completely dry before packing it up.
By following these 5 simple tips you should be able to keep your flag’s flying for longer and make the most of a worthwhile marketing investment!